If you are new to our journey, start here first!

Monday, July 18, 2011

One Month Home

Today we celebrate one month at home with Sophia!  It's hard to believe that she hasn't been here forever on most days.  God certainly knew what He was doing when He chose her for us!  She has settled in beautifully and continues to surprise and amaze us with her happy, contented personality.  Don't get me wrong--she can certainly let her will be made known if she doesn't like something, and she does that quite often, but we are all figuring each other out and learning how to manage one another.

Today we were down at the Lebanon IU 13 building where Sophia was assessed by a team consisting of an occupational therapist, physical therapist, social worker, speech pathologist, and another educator.  They had brought in a Mandarin translator as well, who was very helpful in translating Sophia's IEP from Taiwan.  We learned quite a bit by having that document translated!  Sophia was hesitant at first, but soon warmed up, especially to the physical therapist.  She got to try out a pediatric walker, which she eventually got used to, so we are hoping to get something similar for her to use in the near future.  I was so proud of my baby girl for putting up with so many strange faces in one place!  I'm excited about the possibilities for her future, too!

Sophia continues to amaze us with things that we didn't know she could do.  This past week it was high fives and low fives.  I had no idea she could do that!  She is also vocalizing a lot more sounds, and even matched my tone when I sang some "la, la, la" notes to her!  Our pediatrician said that watching Sophia would be like watching a flower slowly unfold and bloom, and I think she's right.  And it will be a joy and privilege to have front row seats as Sophia blooms.  How I thank God for our beautiful daughter!

Sophia a month ago on her first ever airplane ride!

The day Sophia met her brothers for the first time (Sabastian was at camp...)



post signature

4 comments:

The Thomasson's said...

Yippeee for being home a month!

Anonymous said...

Terri: Thanks for sharing wonderful pictures! We are glad everyone is adjusting so well and we're looking forward to seeing all of you soon we hope. Meanwhile, all our love to our Pennsylvania (soon to be Indiana) Fisher family. love, mom & dad in Ohio

Terry said...

What a beautiful flower !!! A great time of learning. I can't wait to hear more about her new discoveries and songs she sings.

Our daughter was in an Early Intervention Program upon arrival home - they were amazing! I learned alot much from them and we had a great group of therapists. Sophia will learn so much! My mom always told me the little ones absorb everything, and Emily proved mom right.

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

I'm so happy your beautiful flower is home in the love of your family. I look forward to the privelage of watching her "bloom" with you!

Love and blessings,
Robin